Pages

Introduction

God has blessed us with more than we could ever need. He has not blessed us so we can have the latest iPad, game console or a new car. We have been blessed to be a blessing.

Keep up with our adoption journey and get a peek into the Hollingsworth household.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Ummmm, Huh?

Every year as Christmas gets closer, I cringe as I hear statements like
"Jesus was born on December 25."
"Jesus is the reason for the season."
And I really hate when the wise men are depicted in the Nativity Scene.
Yes, I'm a truther. I see things in black and white.

We aren't exactly sure when Jesus was born. But we know that it was not on December 25. It would have been too cold for the shepherds to be out in the fields. They would not have had everyone travel to their own town during the cold months.

"So what?" you ask. "Why does it matter?"

Well, maybe it doesn't matter. But it really irks me that our children really think they are supposed to sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus on December 25. When December 25 is actually the date the pagans used to celebrate the "rebirth" of the sun god. Christians adopted all of their traditions (trees, wreaths, yule log, gift giving, etc) so they could have something to celebrate too. Some scholars even believe it was to woo pagans to Christianity. Hmmm... sounds a lot like "peddling the Gospel" to me.

But I've come to the realization that I'm not going to change the world's view on this and I'm not even going to change my husband's. So, I celebrate Christmas right along with the rest of everyone... against my conscious. Then today I received a catalog for Christian Book Distributors. I noticed a book called "Mommy, Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween?" The description goes like this:

Winwood's kid-friendly resource explains Halloween's pagan origins and its disputed historic relationship to All Saints Day.

I may email Winwood and ask if he's aware of Christmas's pagan origins.

No comments:

Post a Comment